Assume a scenario!! You are sitting on bean bag having a controller in hand
and playing one of your favorite on games; you might be playing World of Warcraft. You are happy and excited, and inches close to win that heated game. Suddenly the internet speed bogs down and chuck all your well-perceived plans out of the window!! It’s damn irritating; we can totally relate as we are one of you, who love playing online games and aren’t even ready to imagine this all scene one more time. If it never happened to you, dude you are lucky!! But if it often happened to you, then it’s the time to scout for the Best Gaming Router, right??
Anyone who is an intense multiplayer gamer on their console or PC can say it confidently: While playing games, SPEED is everything. And in the race for being the best online player, you are obliged to have the best router for gaming, Any Day!
Are You Scouting For the Best Gaming Router??
It can be a daunting task to settle for one particular model as there are plenty of options claiming to serve the best networking. The undeniable fact is: market of wireless router for gaming is changing fast, most probably the one that was hottest last year might not be necessarily leading this year. However, if your search is for an efficient gaming router, then it would be better to get armed with the most recent information regarding a router that won’t only value for your money but also match your needs perfectly. And this is the only reason we are here with this website—to keep our users and readers up-to-date with the latest trends and an incomparable variety of best wireless gaming routers.
What Our Aim is?We strive to give our users/readers unbiased and comprehensive Wireless Router reviews, which will help them big-time while making the decision on investing on any gaming router. We don’t only give you a name and specifications of one router. Instead, we have created a buyer’s guide just in case you don’t know what to look for in a router. With the help of our detailed guide will get easy for you to choose one brand over the other and get what fits your needs. Believe, our top wireless gaming router brands’ overview will have you sorted with the right choice. In short, purchasing the most suitable and reasonable wireless router has never been this easier!
Here is the list of our top 5 picks for the efficient wireless gaming routers, get the best as per your needs!
- TRENDnet AC2600 TEW-827DRU, StreamBoost MU-MIMO Wireless Router
This Router is designed especially for busy homes. With multiple Wi-Fi clients, Trendnet Tew-827DRU AC2600 is well-featured midrange router that performed well and delivered blazing speeds in the throughput test conducted by our experts’ team. The router easily supports all the modern 802.11ac technologies, which also include: Multiple Output (MU-MIMI) streaming technology, Multi-user Multiple Input, Qualcomm’s StreamBoost bandwidth-management technology, and beamforming. With a three year warranty, the router also offers a generous array of management settings, tho its interface can be little tricky to use. The StreamBoost minimize latency for videos, voice streams, and gaming to eliminate stumble and lag caused by massive bandwidth traffic, like torrent and others.
- Up to 2 additional SSIDs per band
- Implicit and Explicit Beamforming
- Its detachable external high gain antennas and high performance amplifiers maximize the wireless coverage
- 1 guest network per band with option for internet access only
- IPv6 support
- Multi-language interface: Spanish, English, Russian, French, and German
- Smaba/FTP server support
- Multi user MIMO for better user experience and increased bandwidth efficiency
- Pre-encrypted wireless network
- StreamBoost automatically classifies and identifies network traffic to maximize bandwidth and speed
- Dynamic DNS support for no-ip.com, dyn.com, and easy dns.com
- 0 share ports
- High performance 1.4 GHZ dual core processor
|VPN server compatible with Open VPN||Poor USB 3.0 storage performance|
|Support for advanced networking features such as Good throughput, quad-stream transmission, it has options for prioritizing connected device||User interface needs work, File-transfer write speeds could be faster|
|Most amazing part is: It comes with three-year warranty runs longer than rival routers||Subpar MUMIMO total throughput gain|
|Very fast throughput in testing, Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) data streaming, Multi-User Multiple Input, Lots of management settings, Dual USB 3,0 ports||Slow to serve up interface page, Somewhat tedious setup|
|Competitive wireless performance, WiFi Certified|
Trendnet TEW-827DRU AC2600 StreamBoost MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router is easy to get along and connected to the latest 802.11ac technologies, which includes Mu-MIMO data streaming, StreamBoost, beamforming, and also impressive performance across the board. The device, undoubtedly, delivered one of the super-fast 2.4GHz we have experience in this price range. It’s MU-MIMO and 5GHz throughput speeds competitor that of the some more expensive high-end routers we have tested in recent times. However, its file-transfer write speeds aren’t that fast. And the biggest gripe using this router was when we were dealing with its user interface, tho it’s easy to navigate, but took too long to save changes and need to be rebooted completely. Not just this, but you will have to save it first and then apply changes before they make any effect. This is how TEW-827DRU’s excellence puts it in the list of our best router for gaming. It’s our choice for a mid-range router, which can be used efficiently in the home and stay easy on the pocket too.
- ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
This router is the Asus’ first N900 router and is enriched with practical and valuable features which are followed up by the highly famous and award winning Asus RT-N56U. This new model is updated with increased Wi-Fi speeds that are up to 450Mbps on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz transmissions simultaneously.
And its high specifications make it extremely ideal for the tasks that are hungry for a better bandwidth performance for 3D HD streaming and multiplayer gaming. And while performing these tasks, this router can provide you space and speed to surf the web, share files or download.
Testing Results of ASUS RT-N66U
Our team of experts tested the performance of this wireless router at both of its frequencies. Its highest frequency is 40MHZ whereas the lowest bandwidth is 20MHz.We tested both frequencies by transferring a massive 1GB file from one device connected directly to the router to another device.
They checked a number of scenarios to understand the reliability of this router. One test was taken by keeping both the devices in the same room and other test was performed when both the devices apart from each other with the help of two standard width walls. Both the results were good and interestingly quite same, there was just bit of the difference when the file got transferred from the same room and next room using the 5GHz transmission with 40MHz bandwidth, which was actually expected.
- File sharing, printer sharing and 3G sharing via multi-function twin USB ports
- 4GHz and 5GHz concurrent dual-band transmissions for strong signal strength and ultra-fast connection rates up to 900Mbps
- ASUSWRT for easy setup, signal monitoring, and network application control
- Gigabit Ethernet ports for the fastest, most reliable Internet performance
- Download Master for wireless data sorage and access to router-connected USB storage devices
- IPv6-enabled for future proof web surfing compatibility
- Expanded wireless coverage with detachable high-powered antennas
|· Work as a standalone VPN server|
· Dark and sexy design
· Stable wireless signals
· Stellar data rates on the 5GHz band
· Supports file sharing
· Multiple SSIDs
· Great performance
· Breakneck downlink speeds
· 3G Internet
· 3x External Antenna
· 2x USB 2.0 ports for printers and storage
· IPv6 support
|· Price quite high for most home users|
· Data rate on the 2.4GHz band could use some improvement
· Didn’t beat its predecessor on performance
· The router’s USB ports don’t support the USB 3.0 standard
· Protruding wires ruin the look
· The RT-N66U’s firmware is a little buggy
The outstanding web interface have been improved bit in this router more as compare to Asus RT-N56U.
This router has some incredible features that can be including 3G dongle and it also has capability of getting set up using a mobile device as well as laptop or PC. And plus point is, it has lots of pros that also made us to make it a part of our best gaming router list.
It’s a feature-rich router, but still comes a rather hefty price tag that is actually too high for a home router.
- TRENDnet AC3200 Gigabit Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router, DD-WRT Compatible, Tri-Band, Smart Connect, 1GHz dual core processor, VPN, TEW-828DRU
When we selected this router for testing so we never had an idea that Trendnet AC3200 TEW-828DRU would get on our list or not. But, surprisingly, its efficiency made us put this one on our list as it has the level to go up against bigger competitors like D-Link, Netgear, and ASUS. Now that the dust has settled, we are confident and definite about the performance of Trendnet TEW-828DRU. And undeniably, it has several compelling advantages over its competition.
This router uses the exactly same hardware platform as the other top branded routers use, but Trendnet’s this model still costs just $185.91 online as of this writing. That’s a filch to compare the range of other routers whose price ranges between $225 to $275. The price of this router isn’t that high but it still Trendnet router fared in our wireless testing.
The router isn’t just best because of its price factor, but it’s also the only router in our test that openly supports the DD-WRT open source firmware (though builds are available for all of the others), and this is why it’s the best one folks reading this
Finally, the TEW-828DRU has the longest warranty of 3 years that any router in this list doesn’t have, and that makes it quite the compelling package. Sadly, like the D-Link 890L/R, this router also performed relatively bad in our USB storage testing on both bands. Tho, its wireless performance was fantastic.
- AC3200: 1300 Mbps AC1 + 1300 Mbps AC2 + 600 Mbps N bands
- Create isolated guest networks
- Pre-encrypted WiFi for your convenience
- The 6 antennae structure along with the 1 GHz Dual Core Processor makes sure maximum network area coverage. And guarantees consistent signal strength
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports
- Compatible with DD-WRT Open Source Firmware
- Extreme performance 1 GHz dual core processor
- Three concurrent WiFi bands maximize device networking speeds
- All Gigabit wired ports
- Smart Connect fundamentally separates faster and slower AC devices to discrete WiFi AC bands
|· Fast Speed guaranteed by the three network strength and the dual USB ports|
· Maximum network coverage area due to the 6 antennas
· The ‘Smart Connect’ technology that ensures an optimal functioning of the wireless modem
· A fully functional, well developed network security system
· USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports
· Port-based VLANs
|· It might not configure the internet connection in some cases. However, in instances like this contacting the support staff immediately might provide fast solutions.|
· Its isn’t Wi-Fi Certified
· Undistinguished wireless performance
· In some spaces, the coverage area is inadequate and signal unstable
TRENDnet has done a decent job in delivering a mostly robust and friendly user-experience. Its management console is packed with features like 2.4 GHz wireless speeds I experienced were also well behind the best, while the 5 GHz speeds, in particular, were reduced.
Priced at $185.91, the TRENDnet TEW-828DRU looks like a good value proposition. If it’s ready to deliver the kind of speeds I’d need and expect from this class, I would easily forgive the reasonably bland aesthetics. But as it stands, you might like to go for the bit cheaper, better performing AC1900 model. Or, if you’re in rush of a tri-band solution, the ASUS-RT3200 is also a much option.
- Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router (Max Stream EA7500) and Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 16×4 Cable Modem (CM3016)
Linksys believes that MU-MIMO is the EA7500’s key selling point. But in actual, it’s not. The substantial factor is that this might be the least-expensive router to support MU-MIMO. Fortunately for Linksys, this affordable EA7500 includes most of the features that are necessary for better speed and quality connection. Not only this, but it delivers flawless performance in general, particularly in the area of network-attached storage.
For a number of years, Linksys has been building routers in this form. It’s arguably a more established look as compare to company’s other aggressively designed WRT series. Apart from its exterior look, it can blend into your home’s décor, as its antennas can be hidden inside the enclosure in a futile.
The Max stream EA7500 operates Linksys’ Smart Wi-Fi firmware that has a new-friendly GUI and the possibilities to configure, access, and manage the router from the cloud. You only need to download the Smart Wi-Fi app to any of yours Android or iOS device. And with the help of App, you can even set up the router using your tablet or smartphone—no need of a computer at all.
The EA7500 has one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0; both are at the back side of the router, which enables the user to share both USB printer and USB storage over your network at the same time.
A DLNA media server will stream video and audio files to the connected devices, ranging from an A/V receiver to a home-theater PC, on your network.
- Exclusive Smart Wi-Fi app to monitor and control network remotely
- 3×3 AC with Duan-core 1.4GHz CPU
- Dual bands with combined speeds of up to 1.9 Gbps
- AC1900 WiFi with MU-MIMO
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Wireless speeds up to 1900 Mbps
- Beamforming Technology
- Up to 12 devices for MU-MIMO
- USB storage and printer sharing
- Dual Core Processer
- Next Gen AC Wi-Fi MU-MIMO
- 4 x Gigabit ports and 2 x USB ports
- Delivers Next-Gen AC Wi-Fi in homes with 12+ devices
|· Very fast Wi-Fi speeds|
· Good port selection
· Modest design with wall mounting
· Rock solid performance
· Has lots of management options
· Multi-User Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output (MU-MIMO) enabled
· Superior storage performance
· High 2.4 GHz throughput
|· Pushes you towards Smart Wi-Fi service|
· Mixed file-transfer performance in testing
· Not as fast as fastest AC1900 routers
· Pricey for an AC 1900router
· No open VPN
· Costs around as same as AC2600MU routers
· Only one USB 3.0 port
The Linksys EA7500 is an excellent router for $238.98. It’s easy to use and set up. This router has a robust set of features that makes it more appealing, and it’s relatively fast. Undoubtedly, Linksys has put a lot of emphasis on the EA7500’s MU-MIMO support, and that’s a god thing.
Among the most affordable ways to have an MU-MIMO router, this router, Linksys EA7500, is an excellent option for large households, such as small offices with many users, student digs, and much more. However, it also has some minor issues which actually mean it’s not quite a flawless success. But at this price, it’s an excellent piece of future-proofing.
- D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router With 6 High Performance Beamforming Antennas (DIR-890L/R)
With Ultra-Fast speed for HD gaming and streaming, the D-Link certainly takes home the trophy for “biggest router” that also cost a considerable amount of money. It’s absolutely huge in size with the measurements of more than 15 inches across. Tho, we’re a bit torn on the paint job. It’s shiny and looks cool, or maybe it’s of popping color that is why we feel so, but usually, people prefer our PC equipment to be black, so it would be nice if there were color options available and we can get the one we simply loved. Without a doubt, we give major kudos to D-Link for having the wherewithal to design and introduced such a crazy-looking router.
From laptops to smartphones to game consoles to smart TVs to many others, it can get connected without having any trouble. This router doesn’t only work great, but it has the most polished and easy-to-use web interface. It also has mobile apps for remoting management of the network and streaming content. This D-Link router also offers extremely great performance, and it has immensely taken top prize in our 5GHz testing at both distances by a decent margin. But as there are many good factors, there are some bad ones too. However, the only major letdown we experienced with D-Link AC3200 was its slower-than-average USB performance. In both of our 3GB file copy tests, it placed dead last, by a sound margin. So, perhaps, a firmware update is needed, and it will be a top class router then. If it weren’t for this insufficiency, the D-Link would arguably be the best router among all the gaming-lovers. We are not hitting D-Link too hard on this factor, but currently, it’s a flaw; otherwise it’s a stellar product.
- AC3200 Tri-Band speed (1300 Mbps on 5 GHz + 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz +600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz). In other words, more antennas means more coverage
- Two USB Ports (one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0)
- 1 GHz Dual Core Processor with Faster network speed for an effective and more powerful router
- Advanced QoS for Seamless Video Streaming & Gaming
- Advanced AC SmartBeam that easily tracks connected laptops and other devices for enhanced Wi-Fi range and speed
- Remote access and management- you can manage it from tablet or smartphone
- Smart Connect Technology
|· Fast Wi-Fi and network storage speeds|
· IPv6 WAN support
· Eye-catching design
· Excellent wireless range performance
· Makes an excellent media server
· UPnP/DLNA media server
· Two 5GHz allow for great bandwidth of 802.11ac
|· No way to tell which 5 GHz radio clients are connected to|
· No wireless bridge modes
· Very expensive
· Smart Connect is hit and miss
· No WPS controls
· Just normal file transfer performance
D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router (DIR-890L/R) beats all competition in this price, tho the price factor of this products is a bit higher. Hands down to its ultrafast throughput speed. And apart from its remarkable performance and futuristic design, this hottest router offers all the most-wanted features that you’d expect from some high-end, tri-band router.
The 1GHz Dual Core Processor of D-Link AC3200 enables its user to experience the processing power anyone needs to support more apps and devices in your home. Using this router, you can enjoy experiencing the ultimate in lag free gaming and 4K media streaming. The AC3200 features powerful networking technology so you can do more and lag less. But their file transfer performance is just ok.
Final Verdict on Gaming Routers
We tried giving an honest review regarding all of the routers. And when you go through the list of our featured best gaming routers, so you can get a clear view of investing in one that matches perfectly with your needs. We have listed routers that are best to use in a home, small offices and which means you are more likely to select router you won’t regret in future. However, once you start using one of these gaming routers, you will never be willing to switch back to normal routers again. Aside from getting a fiber connection, these masterly designed and created routers are one of the best ways to improve your internet connection’s performance.
These gaming routers are brilliant in optimizing game related traffic and are invented in a way that makes them able to prioritize gaming data packets. And these are made with the thought of making it able to boost performance for everyone on the network improving browsing/ uploading activities/downloading/ streaming. They also optimize the generated network traffic by demanding games that are available online. This is one of the most needed and best features, as it gives priority to the gaming data packets and consequently helps in obstructing decrease in speed without any matter of how many activities are simultaneously being accessed using same Wi-Fi on other devices.
These routers are the ideal solution for distraction-free performance when playing games online. In our list, you can see some gaming routers with the variety of features, and we also have listed down pros and cons so you can invest without messing up your head with thoughts. Somehow, Regular routers fail to deliver top tier performance because they aren’t up-to-the-mark to meet your better speed needs. They don’t have features such as dual band/tri-band networking, port aggregation, and giving priority and identifying gaming data packets, which are the foremost needs of a router to play online games remarkably.
We thought not to get you confused by listing 10 or 20 routers, to help you in right direction, we only featured five best gaming routers to make you pick the impressive one. We hope that the list lets you decide ideally which gaming router you want. May your future be forever lagless and never face issues while playing your favorite games online. Happy gaming!